Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Dr Schiano - question about lab results
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Dr Schiano - question about lab results

Hi, I have a question about lab results I recently got. I am a 27 year old female and have been a very heavy drinker on and off for 8 years, with this past year being the worst. I began experiencing hair loss during the fall, so I finally went to a clinic in January. They tested my liver function, which turned out to be normal. However, my MCV value was 103.4, and my transferrin level was really low. I understand that usually iron is high with low transferrin, and that's anemia of a chronic disease. I'm concerned that the low transferrin and high MCV can be a sign of liver disease. How indicative are those values of liver disease? I am going to see an internist next week, but I am so scared and want to know how serious those two particular values are. I understand you can have cirrhosis and normal liver function values. I would really appreciate your opinion. Here are my results. Thanks so much!

MCV - 103.4 (normal range: 81-99) *I know this can be a direct result from heavy drinking or it can indicate liver disease. My vitamin b-12 levels are good, so I know that's not the other possible cause.

Vitamin b-12 - 628 (normal range: 180-914) - so, this leaves the only causes for my macroblastic anemia being liver
disease or heavy drinking alone

Ferritin - 61 (normal range: 11-306.8)

Iron - 33 (normal range: 65-175)

Transferrin - 187 (normal range: 250-380) *this is especially concerning because I know that low transferrin can indicate anemia of a chronic disease, most likely liver disease. I can't really find any other explanation other than kidney problems or autoimmune disorders.

Liver function test:

AST - 26 (normal range: 8-40)
ALT - 29 (normal range: 7-35)
Alkaline Phosphatase - 36 (normal range: 38-126)
Bilirubin, total - 0.6 (normal range: 0.4-2.0)
Protein, total - 7.6 (normal range: 6.4-8.3)
Albumin - 4.7 (normal range: 3.5- 4.8)  

517301_tn?1229801385
alcohol can cause this and not have resulted in cirrhosis.  check your platelet count to make sure that it is not low. i highly doubt that you have cirrhosis--the docs should get an imaging study such as a sonogram or CT scan.  Clearly you must stop drinking to excess.  good luck.
Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank