Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Dr Schiano - question about lab results
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dr Schiano - question about lab results

Hi, I have a question about lab results I recently got. I am a 27 year old female and have been a very heavy drinker on and off for 8 years, with this past year being the worst. I began experiencing hair loss during the fall, so I finally went to a clinic in January. They tested my liver function, which turned out to be normal. However, my MCV value was 103.4, and my transferrin level was really low. I understand that usually iron is high with low transferrin, and that's anemia of a chronic disease. I'm concerned that the low transferrin and high MCV can be a sign of liver disease. How indicative are those values of liver disease? I am going to see an internist next week, but I am so scared and want to know how serious those two particular values are. I understand you can have cirrhosis and normal liver function values. I would really appreciate your opinion. Here are my results. Thanks so much!

MCV - 103.4 (normal range: 81-99) *I know this can be a direct result from heavy drinking or it can indicate liver disease. My vitamin b-12 levels are good, so I know that's not the other possible cause.

Vitamin b-12 - 628 (normal range: 180-914) - so, this leaves the only causes for my macroblastic anemia being liver
disease or heavy drinking alone

Ferritin - 61 (normal range: 11-306.8)

Iron - 33 (normal range: 65-175)

Transferrin - 187 (normal range: 250-380) *this is especially concerning because I know that low transferrin can indicate anemia of a chronic disease, most likely liver disease. I can't really find any other explanation other than kidney problems or autoimmune disorders.

Liver function test:

AST - 26 (normal range: 8-40)
ALT - 29 (normal range: 7-35)
Alkaline Phosphatase - 36 (normal range: 38-126)
Bilirubin, total - 0.6 (normal range: 0.4-2.0)
Protein, total - 7.6 (normal range: 6.4-8.3)
Albumin - 4.7 (normal range: 3.5- 4.8)  

517301_tn?1229801385
alcohol can cause this and not have resulted in cirrhosis.  check your platelet count to make sure that it is not low. i highly doubt that you have cirrhosis--the docs should get an imaging study such as a sonogram or CT scan.  Clearly you must stop drinking to excess.  good luck.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
517301_tn?1229801385
Thomas D Schiano, MDBlank
The Mount Sinai Medical Center
New York, NY
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker