Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Elevated Liver Profile

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Elevated Liver Profile

3 months ago I went to a weight loss doctor to lose 50 pounds. He pulled bloodwork and everything was normal: GGT 43 ALT 23 AST 23 Alkaline Phosphate 97.  But my cholesterol and trigylcerides were all high.  So he put me on Phentermine 37.5 mg and 1000mcg B12 sublingual per day, in addition to 1200 calories and no more than 20 grams of fat per day with 5 day a week exercising. 4 weeks later I went to my PCP for my physical and I had lost 25 pounds and all my bad cholesterol and tris were back in normal range. However my liver profile came back high: GGT 62 ALT 90 AST 58 Alkalaline Phosphate normal. She had me re-test in 6 weeks.  Now I am down 43 pounds and feel great, however my recent liver profile came back even higher: GGT 208 ALT 92 AST 44 Alkaline Phosphate still normal. I do not drink. My doc is not very concerned because she says it's obvious that I am taking something since the dieting started that has raised it and she wants me to stop the B12 sublingually and re-test in 6 weeks.  However, I am concerned.  I excercise 5 to six days a week, still eating only 1200 calories and low fat, and only about 10 pounds to my goal weight. I feel great, but I am so worried about the liver profile. I have never had it elivated until the last 3 months. Do you think it is associated with my diet?

Thank You In Advance!
the pattern of the AST and ALT are consistent with fatty liver.  I think that with continued weight loss they will eventually normalize. You should get tests to rule out viral hepatitis and other chronic liver conditions.  The elevations are not that high.  keep up the good work with the weight loss.
Thank You!