Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Enlarged Spleen Post Transplant

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Enlarged Spleen Post Transplant

My 21 year old daughter had a liver transplant in 09/09 and has since suffered from a painful enlarged spleen.  Her hepatalogist said that her spleen is enlarged, and that it sometimes happens with liver transplant patients.  Thus far, not a single physician has been able to help her with this spleen pain issue.  Her doctors say that removing the spleen is not an option, yet they expect her to "just live with it".  She has been in and out of the hospital many times, and each time, we are told, "just live with it".  

Are there any post transplant patients that have had this issue?  If so, what did your doctors do to stop the pain?  I am truly at my wits end.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.