Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Had transplant and now recurring Hep C.

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Had transplant and now recurring Hep C.

I had a liver transplant in July of 2010 after my Hep C had finally led to early Cirrhosis and HCC.  Was on list 3 months.  Now the Hep C is attacking my new liver - at least phase 2 fibrosis, maybe higher by now.   I'm 68 years old.  My question is my liver specialist in Houston wants to start me on triple treatments with victrelis.  I'm genotype A1, TT.  Would like to know what my chances are of this treatment helping, and if I'm safe to wait for the non-interferon treatments if my fibrosis has advanced more or if I already  have Cirrhosis.  Thank you.
Tags: recurring hep c
this is a tough call.  Interferon-free regimens for the post-liver transplant patient may not be available anytime soon, and i am not confident you would be a candidate for study protocols.  it is better to treat someone before they develop cirrhosis as they respond less robustly and have more complications.  The data accumulated so far on current triple therapy is that there are a LOT of side effects but patients are clearing the virus, at least over the short term.
Your last sentence of your reply stated that patients are clearing the virus, at least over the short term.  At my age of 68, being sicker for months or longer on treatments almost wouldn't be worth it if the 'short term' you mentioned is only 6 months or so.  Just wondered roughly how  much time is 'short term' ?
MLTexas I think the  short term is possibly 3 months I know someone on the triple and so far he doesn't have any alarming side effects yet. I am 48 and have chronic cirrhosis from hepc and relapsed twice. I've now got a liver stent and have a bit more energy. The thing is to keep the viral load down as much as possible. If you have a new liver then  put it to your doctor the urgency of starting a new course of treatment. But like anything it is money and costs of  new drugs. Like the doctor said being on a waiting list is possibly your best option.
what I meant "over the short-term" is that the studies have only been started relatively recently so we dont have good SVR data after completion of 48 weeks of therapy post-liver transplantation.  there is no reason to expect however that the SVR rates wouldnt be excellent.