Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Hep C Viral Load Genotype question

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Hep C Viral Load Genotype question
My viral load is 76,680,000. I was just diagnosed, and I do not know what this means. I can't find anything on the net that gives me a logical explanation, so I'm coming to the people who should know. What does that number mean, and am I in trouble?
one value in time doesn't mean anything.  its high but typically there is no correlation between the magnitude of the viral load and the degree or severity of disease.  tell me more about yourself with regard the HCV.
I was just recently diagnosed with Hep C. When they did the viral load/genotype test, that is the number that I remember. They also said something about genotype 3. I am totally confused. I do have a follow up visit with the specialist, but I'm just trying to get as much information as I can. Thank you for your help.
Carla Lopez
do not worry too much about the viral load--confirm the genotype and whether or not you need a liver biopsy for staging.  there are several new medications available for HCV Rx although they do not really have increased efficacy for genotype 3. There are however many new study medicines that are coming to clinical trial which be of benefit to you.