Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Husband is ESLD/cirhosis

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Husband is ESLD/cirhosis
His MELD is at this time 19... he has repeasted endoscopies to place bands on varices 8 to date. He was diagnosed three years ago... I would like to have a better understanding of MELD scores in respect to the need for a transplant... he has quit drinking (10 months now) and in the process of stop smoking... at present we have done evals for the transplant and go back to the doctor for placement after 6 weeks nicotine free... and based on tests being done will be referred for TP... I await your response
Annie
especially if the liver disease is not due to HCV, transplantation at this juncture would in fact be indicated as he should otherwise do extremely well. in some oparts of the country however a MELD of 19 will not be high enough for a transplant.