Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Immuno supprasion.

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Immuno supprasion.
My 7 yrs. old son had undergone successful liver translantation on 27/10/2009 in India. Doctor has prescribed him two types of immuno supprassing drug - (1 ) Cellcept and ( 2 ) Cyclosporine. Considering his blood report dose of cyclosporine has come down to 0.4ml B.D.At the time of discharge from hospital Cyclosporine dose was 1.2ml B.D. LFT report shows all factors normal other than alkalinephosphate. Last co.level in blood was 124. My query is that  dose of  cyclosporine is changing with blood work but since the beginning  Cellcept dose is fixed at 1ml B.D. Would you kindly explain me the reason? In blood work we check Cyclosporine level but level of Cellcept is not measured.Is it necessary to continue both immuno supprassions?
Regards,
Mihir
cellcept dose is quite standard.  Cellcept levels can be monitored but the majority of programs do not follow levels.  I think that eventually the cellcept can be tapered off and cyclosporine monotherapy can be followed.  using azathioprine rather than cellcept might be a less expensive alternative also.