Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Itching and liver engimes are high after 1.5year of liver transplant

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Dear Sir,
   I am 37 year old. I under gone liver transplant in july 2011, Since last december,2012 I have itching and liver engime gone high(SGOT-453,SGPT-300,GGTP-1050,AlkalinePh-300,Bilirubin-2.32). The DNA test shows negative and AntiHBs-94. Yesterday MRCP has been done. Seeing the result doctor says bile duct obstruction is not the reason. I asked where the rejection is the cause or not. He says since my sister donated liver, chance of rejection is less. The Tac level  is 6.8ug/L. In between ursocol 300mg(BD) was given for 2weeks and ciplox 300mg was given for 1 week. But engimes did not comeback. Infact after stopping of Ursocol the engimes went further high.
According to you what could be the reason? And what are the possible solutions?
with the enzymes this high, rejection has to be a consideration.  I would unequivocally get a liver biopsy to rule out rejection.  it is not true that recipients of live donors have lower incidences of rejection