Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Lack of appetite
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Lack of appetite

My sister is now over three months after her liver transplant but is losing weight because she has absolutely no appetite and consequently not building up her strength. She is also not drinking enough water. I am very worried about her. has anybody been through this situatiion and found a solution?
Related Discussions
517301_tn?1229801385
this is not unusual.  it may be related to medications, especially if she is taking cellcept.
2 Comments
Blank
1135761_tn?1260560694
This symptom is very common.  what helped me was every morningis is that i mix 1 packet of Carnation Instant Breakfast, 1 scoop of whey protein and a glass of milk.  It is quick to get down and you know daily nutrients have been consumed.  Water is very important.  Try getting a special water bottle that everyone knows is just for your sister.  Keep the water bottle near her at all times.  Tell family and friends to keep the water bottle full with fresh water when they come to visit your sister.  Good Luck and above all remember your sister has been through a major surgery.  Everyone needs to be proud of her, express words of praise and encouragement.  Please do not inadvertently discourage due to your fear and anxiety.  Make sure communication with her transplant is happening.

Stay Positive, Shrink the negative, Stay Well,

Bill
Blank
This Forum's Experts
517301_tn?1229801385
Thomas D Schiano, MDBlank
The Mount Sinai Medical Center
New York, NY
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank