Liver Transplant Expert Forum
MELD Score

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

MELD Score

I am on the transplant waiting list with a MELD SCORE OF 10, At this point I have no major problems other than the encepalopathy which is somewhat under controll, with meds. Believe me Dr. I am in no rush. I would however like to know what to expect, as far as waiting time. Sincerely cat33
hopefully you will not need a transplant for years.  survivial w/o a transplant is better than with a transplant when your MELD is 15 or less. the only card is the development of liver cancer which is 1-2 % annually cumulatively.
Thank you for responding. I have been at a 10 since my diagnosis 2 years ago. I often get remarks from Dr.'s about the nature of my disiease and how things could turn on me within 48 hours. My diagnosis was Cryptogenic Liver Disease ESLD. I have been scanned every three months and every thing seem stable. It helps to hear positive feedback.
                                  THANK YOU
the screening for liver cancer is paramount
just about when I think I have a handle on this I read something like I just read about the lady who's meld score is 10 I was just at the doctors and they told me sometimes your meld can go down for whatever reason mine was 17 which wasn't two concerning to the hospital but now it seems it is 12 or 13 enough that they wouldn't do a transplant even @ 17 they weren't lighting any fires to do a transplant they told me they weren;t transplanting people until they were in there low to mid 20's
thankyou
even though liver transplantation is lifesaving one should wait as long as possible as transplantation is trading 1 set of problems for another.  the medications are lifelong and can have side affects.