Liver Transplant Expert Forum
NASH

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

NASH

I was diagnosed at the age of 15 with NASH, I already had mild chirrosis (cirrhosis) with alot of fibrosis.  My doctor then told me to watch my wieight as well as cut my fat and sugar intake. He also prescribed Milk Thistle two to three times a day. That was years ago. I went over 7 years without watching my diet, I was drinking occasionally and I just started going to a Dr again. He had no clue what the disease even was, and has told me to not take Milk Thistle or even Vitamin E because it will cause my liver to have to much of a load on it. My labs showed my Ammonia levels to be 119, and he told me to take Lactulose, but for no reason to take Vitamin E or Milk Thistle.... I have seen many people take Milk Thistle after being to the point in Chirrosis (cirrhosis) that they needed to have belly taps done twice a week, to having NO belly taps done for 8 years. Do you think it will be alright to take these still, I feel better everyday when I do.
there is definitely no downside to taking milk thistle and vitamin E and i would highly recommend it.  You shouild see a liver specialist and of course need to stop drinking alcohol, lose weight if appropriate and have high cholesterol treated.
I haven't drank for months, and appreciate your input, I am waiting on an answer for medical assistance, due to the inability to pay. Other than diet do you reccommend anything thing I could take to help with Cholesterol, because June 2010 the doctor put me on Lopid and it made me develope Rabdomylosis (spelling?) and he told me then that I would never be able to take any kind of "Lipid" again.  
vitamin E, selenium and fish oil