Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Not sure what the lesion is in my liver.

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

About 6 months ago I went for a scan of my liver because I was having pains after having a BpDDS surgery.  Although they did a catscan (which was normal before) they performed another catscan and a 3" lesion was found in my Liver.  They ordered blood tests and an MRI.  They thought it was a hemangioma.  The results of the MRI stated it was not a Hemangioma but they were not sure what it was.  The doctor ordered a Hemangiogram which said it may be but is probably not an atypical hemangioma and either the MRI or Hemangiogram stated that it was not a fatty infiltration (although I had a fatty liver).  In the meantime my AFP test for my bloodwork came back slightly elevated.  5.7 they said this nothing to worry about.  However, I looked for results being curious and I found that if I was a HEAVY smoker normal will be less than 5.  I have NEVER smoked.  I went to a specialist in the city and he said after lookig at the films that it was definatly a hemangioma.  I asked him why he thought so becuase my GP and Gastro, and Radiologist said it was not and he said "He would fall off his chair if it wasnt and he would check with his radiologist."

He called me 2 days later and said it was nothin to worry about but it was NOT a hemangioma.  It has been about 4 months.  I still have pain in my right side around my rib cage (I have no gall bladder) and I have been thinking about it.  I pushed my GP to take another MRI.  He said that the last one taken about 3 months prior did not grow.  But he finally said yes.  I also asked him to retake my Bloods.  

Am I worrying for nothing.
there are different types of hemangiomas.  i highly doubt this is nothing but a benign lesion but your AFP should be repeated.  i am actually not aware that it is elevated in smokers as the CEA level is.  Your next scan should be an MRi with eovist
Thanks.  I got the results a afp it was 1.8.  It was cea that was 5.7.  They scheduled another MRI for next week.  The lesion is located in quadrant 4b. And I have some leg edema that coincides with my pain on right side front and rear kinda like an arrow going through but not as painful.  

Do you think I should be worried?  I was unsure from your post.
i do not think that you should be worried.  let's repeat the scan for peace of mind.