Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Pain Relief
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pain Relief

I had a liver transplant five years ago, and have no complications at the moment.  However, I developed Avascular Necrosis in both shoulders and had also a hip replacement.  Is this common in transplant patients, and was it caused by the steroids?  Also, recently I have serious pain in the front part of both my ankles.  It feels like the tendons.  I can hardly walk.  Is this related?  NSAIDS relieve the pain but are obviously toxic to my liver and kidneys.  what pain relief can I safely take. Please.  They all seem damaging.  Please advise me. thank you.  Vanessa
Related Discussions
  • pain killers (1 replies):
    My friend has had a liver transplant, I noticed on her d...[more]
517301_tn?1229801385
AVN can definitely occur post-transplantation and is in part related to the steroid use.  NSAID are relatively contraindicated because of their propensity for causing renal problems while taking the immunosuppressive medications.  You should see a rheumatologist.  Acetaminophen can be used up to 2gms a day for analgesia
Blank
This Forum's Experts
517301_tn?1229801385
Thomas D Schiano, MDBlank
The Mount Sinai Medical Center
New York, NY
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker