Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Possible Liver damage after two weeks of Tylenol?

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

I'm a 23-year-old female and have been having some bad dental pain for the past two weeks. I've been cycling through Acetaminophen and Advil around the clock until just yesterday, so that's about two weeks exactly.

I was switching off between Advil and Acetaminophen every four hours, and occasionally at the same time if the pain was bad. But I was very careful to take no more than the maximum amount of either. The Acetaminophen tablets were 325mg, and I'd take two at a time every 4-6 hours.

About a week ago I bought some Extra strength Tylenol (500mg) tablets because the 325mg ones weren't doing much. I was also very careful not to take more than the maximum of 4000mg a day, and they seemed to do more.

Since my root canal two days ago, I haven't had to take as much medicine, but have still had some Tylenol and Advil off and on this weekend.

Today I read that you shouldn't take Acetaminophen for more than 10 days, and I've been taking it for two weeks, stopping today. Is there a chance I damaged my liver? I've been feeling off these past two days, but I also am on Amoxicillin and haven't gotten good sleep for two weeks because of tooth pain. I'm probably paranoid, but I just wanted to see what the likelihood of liver damage would be.
there is some potential for you accidently causing liver damage as advil and amoxicillin can also cause problems.  you should really stop taking everything right now--if your pain is that persistent and severe there may be something wrong so consult the dentist.  You definitely have been taking too much tylenol.