Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Potential Liver Transplant with heart dieseae,
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Potential Liver Transplant with heart dieseae,

Hello,
   My father has had a long history of heart dieseae mostly based off of genetics with some occasional bad dietary choices here and there. He had his first heart attack back in 2010, and he recently had another much more minor one in the past month. Unfortunately, for now, the heart is not the prime concern.
   It turns out that the crestor that he has been on for many years to control his cholesterol has done a number on his liver. His liver is still functional, and to my knowledge would last him a while. However, it is now enlarged to the point where it is causing varasee (spelled wrong) vains on his stomach. These are apparently just time bombs waiting to burst. The problem is that many of the liver treatments including the potential for a transplant are all too risky for someone who has his heart conditions. We are seeking more medical advice from different hospitals, i fear that his case is too risky for most doctors to take on. So i wanted to see if anyone knows of someone who has gone through similar circumstances and found a viable option.

Thank you,

We live in Virginia USA
517301_tn?1229801385
more likely is that your Dad has suffered from fatty liver over some period of time.  Treatment is with therapy for high cholesterol and treament of diabetes if it present, as well as weight loss. hopefully the function of his liver is fairly adequate and there could be some reversibility.  a beta blocker medication will prevent the varices from bleeding.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
517301_tn?1229801385
Thomas D Schiano, MDBlank
The Mount Sinai Medical Center
New York, NY
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker