Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Recovery time for grade 1 fatty liver

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Recovery time for grade 1 fatty liver

I am 25 and Iwas diagnosed with grade 1 fatty liver, one and half months back in an ultrasound scan done during a medical checkup. My other organs are fine and there is no enlargement or cirrosis (cirrhosis) in my liver. Iam not experiencing any pain or discomfort in my abdomen and my apitite and motion are normal. All my blood reports were normal except for my SGPT value which was 61. I am 182 cms  tall and was weighing 81 kgs at that time. I used to drink occationally (couple of pegs,once in a month) and smokes twice or thrice in a week. I had quit both after fatty liver was detected and started working out regularly. I run 5 kms and does weight training for 45 mins, 5 days a week. I have been eating 2 chappathis, carrots,beetroots and other raw vegetables and fruits for each meal and completely avoided non veg and fried foods. I had lost 8 kgs and my SGPT and SGOT values became 32 and 40 respectively.Three weeks back i again did an ultrasound scan and found out that it is still there. Now i have cut down my diet to raw vegetables and fruits and boiled fish alone and no cereals at all. I am also drinking more than 2 litres of water a day. And i am following the same work out routine. I have lost 4 kgs more and now weighs 69 kgs. Iam desparate now as I may loose one job opportunity if i dont clear my medicals in one week. How long will it take to get this completely cured? Will it come back if i start taking cereals again?
i think that you are doing a fantastic job.  the important thing here is that the liver tests have normalized--that is the bottom line.  the Ultrasound may not appear normal for a long time so i wouldnt stress too much about this.  the important thing is that you lost the weight and that the liver tests have normalized.
Thank you very much for your reply doctor.But my question is approximately how long will it take for the ultrasound report to look normal if i follow the same lifestyle. Also once it is normal, will this disease come back if i go back to normal food style. I mean taking breakfast cereals. I am under weight right now and i look like all dried up. I wish to maintain 74 kgs without getting into trouble again. Ofcouse i have no plan to start consuming alcohol again.
frankly, i am not sure how long it will take for an ultrasound to return to normal in this setting.  If you stop doing what you are doing with regard lifestyle changes, etc. it could recur.