Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Retreatment for Hep. C?

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Retreatment for Hep. C?
Dear Doctor,

My name is Joli, I was diagnosed with Hep. C, type 6A in 2001. I started as a new grad RN in California 25 years ago.  As a part of the job’s requirement, I had my physical exam done annually, without having the Hep. C disease. However, about 12 years ago, I was diagnosed with Hep. C positive. I tried to remember how I got this disease while working on my second job at a hospital, but it is difficult to recall what really had happened.
I received the treatments for Hep. C with Interferon at Kaiser Anaheim in 2002 and failed, twice. I had excessive bleeding with my menstrual   (I was young then. My CBC dropped significantly. The treatment had to be stopped after 7 - 8 weeks.)
A few months later, my GI doctor and a PA wanted to start the 2nd treatment. However, only about after 2 – 3 weeks of the treatment, my CBC dropped again. They had to stop the treatment. They said the new medication for Hep. C will be coming out soon.
Now, Kaiser wanted me to retreat my Hep. C with Interferon. I am still very concerned with this Interferon medication.
Would you please shed some light into my insight of whether I should wait for the new med without Interferon, or I go ahead with the retreatment.
Your response will be a big help for me, and of course you will have no obigation in treating whatsoever.

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards,

Joli
interferon-free regimens will hopefully be available soon, so as long as you dont have advanced fibrosis i think that you can wait.  I am positive that in california some of the academic centers will also have clinical trials for genotype 6 patients.  Good luck Joli.