Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Throw away anti-rejection meds? I just can't!

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

I was blessed and received a liver transplant in 2006.  I was on the 5mg Tacrolimus(prograf) and when my dosage changed to 1mg capsules I received a few more scripts of 180 each after my dosage change.  I tried to give them back to the pharmacy but was told to throw them away.  I was going to do that until I thought about the cost of this medicine and heard what one person told me his wife was paying a month after medicaid insurance, her cost for meds was about $4,000.00 a month.

I have kept this medicine in my bedroom drawer since it came in the mail and it is not expired.  The temperature is constant in my bedroom, about 70 degrees and this medicine is still in the bottle never opened.  I would love to give it to someone that may have to pay for this medicine.  I know I am grateful for the opportunity to be here alive and well and know how precious a secone chance in life is and would like to help someone else out with this medicine.

Can you tell me anyone or anywhere I may be able to find someone that can use this medicine?

Thanks,
***@****
thank you very much for this offer.  all liver transplant centers have needy patients that lose their health insurance or end up having to pay an enormous co-pay.  ANY liver transplant program would gladly accept such a wonderful donation.  thanks for the thought.