Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Total bilirubin 1.5? Still normal level?

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Hi Dr.
     I am a 39 year old physically active male no major health issues diagnosed yet except that I was told I had a fatty liver 18 months ago, after a CT scan on an unrelated matter. All LFTs have been normal on all tests.  Right side discomfort persists sometimes after big meals and laying on right side.  Gall bladder removed 3 yrs. ago. I was a prior heavy drinker for about 10 years.  Prior to that socially off and on. No alcohol consumed in past 18 months. Abdominal ultrasound showed liver unremarkable 10 months ago.  
     A recent LFT shows that my Total bilirubin level is now at 1.5 , reference rage .2-1.5mg.  Direct biliruibin 0.1, reference range 0.1-0.5.   It has gone up from 7 months ago when it was 1.2 mg , reference range .2 - 1.5 mg.    Direct bilirubin was same at 0.1  , reference range 0.1-0.5 mg.

1--In alcoholic liver damage is the Direct bilirubin usually raised as well as Indirect?
2--What can it mean when the direct is in range but the total or indirect is at the high end of the range?
3--What is this GGT liver test?  It's not on any of my liver function labs.
4--Would you suggest any further testing for me based on info. I provided?
Thank you sir.
you may have gilbert's disease, which is a benign enzyme defect of the liver.  The direct fraction of bilirubin denotes liver damage.  the GGTP is a very sensitive marker of any liver damage or fat.  i think that as long as you don't drink and watch your weight, that you will be fine.
Thank you for your response and time Dr., a couple more questions:

-- If there was liver damage or cirrhosis is the Direct bilirubin level usually elevated as well as the indirect bilirubin level?  

--Are the labs (LFTs) most likely abnormal in other areas (other than bilirubin) if one might have cirrhosis or liver damage?

Dr.
Any insight in reference to the two additional questions posted above?  Many thanks.
absolutely--almost always there would be other liver test abnormalities in the setting of cirrhosis.  If the elevated bilirubin was due to intrinsic liver disease, the direct fraction of bilirubin would be at least elevated in part as well.