Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Two small hyperechoic nodules

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Two small hyperechoic nodules

i was taking statins (Vytorin 10/20) for almost 10 years and, in a physical, my enzimes came slightly elevated, i redid the test and they came normal, after i stopped Vytorin. my doctor asked for an ultrassound and came with the following description:"there are 2 hyperechoic masses in th eleft hepatic lobe. the most cephalad mass to9ward the diapragm measures 1.4 x 1.2 x 1.3 cm. Next to this mass slighlty anterior is a second hyperechoic nodule that measures 0.9 x 1 x 0.6 cm. otherwise , liver echotexture is slightly increased, suggesting an element of fatty infiltration. there is no biliary dilatation with the extra hepatic common duct measuring 0.4 mm. right kidney measures normal at 11,8 x 6,9 x 5,1 cm, gallbladder is echo-free and wall is not thickened. pancreas is not seen due to overlying bowel gas.

impression:
1) no accute diagnostic finding
2) two small hyperechoic nodules in the left hepatic lobe, the largest of which measures about 1,4 cm, that are non-specific but could represent small hemangiomas. diffuse fatty infiltration of the liver. recomend a CT or MRI utilizing hemangioma protocol

my question: am i in trouble?

you appear to have a touch of fatty liver, in part related to hypercholesterolemia and if you are overweight.  This is extrremely common in the US and the treatment is therapy for the elevated cholesterol and weight loss if appropriate.  hemangiomas are benign growths in the liver that are found incidentally on imaging studies in 2-3% of the general population.  I think that you'll be fine.