Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Wellbutrin? (the ramblings of a hypochondriac)

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Doctor I have a question about Wellbutrin. If there is even a suspicion of cirrhosis, is 150 mg SR safe? I read one shouldn't go over 75mg.  My personal history is below, and you had answered my question regarding my cirrosis (cirrhosis) fears last year stating that the "mild heterogenous echo texture is probably residual fat". But I know that to be100% conclusive one needs a biopsy. Obviously its ridiculous to biopsy everyone before prescribing Wellbutrin to look for undiagnosed liver disease lol. (you can see now why I need the Wellbutrin, I'm a hypochondriac). I read somewhere that the reason for the lower dose with cirhosis is due to the possibility of high blood levels because the diseased liver can't process the drug as quickly as a normal liver can.

I really don't want to have any more tests (MRI's Biopsy;s etc) as this is just promotes a constant cycle of lab tests seeking reassurance and thats been a life-long pattern for me. I was thinking, why not have a blood test to check for serum blood levels of the drug after about week? This way one could see if its being processing properly by the liver? Is this practical, or should I just ask for a different AD? Its funny because when I was drinking, it wouldn't take much to get drunk, and I do take Crestor and only need 5mg to control my high cholesterol (perhaps I do process drugs more slowly)

From my post last year to you:

"I have a history of alcohol abuse and obesity. I stopped drinking 3 years ago when my ultrasound showed moderate to severe fatty liver with mild enlargement. I was also 60 pounds overweight. I lost about 35 pounds and have been exercising etc.
All my LFTs are normal.
PT time normal
AST 19
ALT 36
Almumin 4.6
Platelets 220
Creatnine 1.0
Bilirubin 1.1
I just had a follow up abdominal ultrasound and the results are:
"Hepatic echo texture is mildly heterogeneous possibly representing mild patchy fatty infiltration. No other abnormalities"
1 Comment
i dont think the dose of welbutrin should be an issue--check your liver tests expectantly over time