Liver Transplant Expert Forum
What now.....

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

What now.....

For the last 7 months I have had bloating ( always feel like I have eaten a 12 course meal ) with belching and pain that begins in my left abdomin (abdomen) (abdomen) ( almost under the rib cage ) and radiates to my left shoulder, Hurts with every breathe and at times am unable to eat or sleep. Hospitalized in Feb and found no cause for the pain, treated with omeprazole, but found a liver hemangioma that meausered 5.6cm /5.8. Eventually symptoms went away to return in May. Severe at times and lasting 4 weeks. Symptoms returned in August and have not left. Although they say the hemangioma should not be causing this, they have not found any other cause. The hemangioma is still growing and was 9.1 / 7.1 in August and is now 9.2 / 7.7 in September ( Left lobe of the liver ). Should I see another specialist to find the cause?  I have had an MRI, Cat Scan of stomach and chest ( to rule out PE ) untrasound of gallbladder and scope.  My gastro also did a test of my stomach emptying and says it is slightly slow and I should follow a low residue diet and control stress.  I live in Virginia and my MD suggested going to Pittsburg or Cleveland Clinic. Should I seek another Gastro Dr or try to see a liver specialist?

hemangiomas do not typically grow in this fashion but it is possible. i suggest that you see a hepatobiliary specialist.  dr charles miller is in cleveland clinic, Avi kumar in pittsburgh. symptoms from hemangiomas do not typically occur unless their size is about 10cms in circumference.
I have used Cleveland Clinic personally and it has been a few years, so I'm not familiar w the physicians, but in the past I've been very pleased with their care and the total process the minute you are in their care. Teress