Liver Transplant Expert Forum
alcoholic cirrhosis?

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

alcoholic cirrhosis?

over 4 years ago my husband admitted to me his liver hurt when he over drinks. Well he over drinks daily. A few weeks ago the whites of his eyes turned brownish yellow. this convinced him to stop drinking.   his natural skin color is on the dark golden red side so i really can't tell if he looks jondice . working at the beach in the sun means he's always getting tanned, so that doesn't help. the palms of his hands r red also.
  he's been sober 2 weeks but now I've  noticed he has less energy, and becomes extremely forgetful when he's had a long day. im afraid that years of heavy drinking every day is killing him. he's 48 and has been drinking since he was a teenager, and for the past 10 years every night he has gone to bed falling down drunk. im sure he has cirrhosis but he refuses to see a Dr. how long will he live with these symptoms and no medical care??  
WATCH FOR FLUID BUILDUP OR JAUNDICE
if he can remain abstinent there is some hope that the liver can recover.  regardless, he should see a gastroenterologist to have some tests run
He refuses to see any Dr or take any tests. what symptoms should i look for so as to know when i should take him to a hospital? so far all i can see is the eye change,  tiring out more than usual, & some forgetfulness. Then the pain in his side he's confessed to.
My sister drank everyday and did the exact same thing as your husband. She started bleeding out her gums and she was placed in the hospital.Please encourage him to go to the doctor.
Im trying. ur reply is so so appreciated. it made me remember seeing blood on his pillow. Just a little, from his gums, on and off for a few years now. he says everyones gums bleed. i said yes, when u brush with a brillo pad.