Liver Transplant Expert Forum
biopsy
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

biopsy

Dear Dr.

I am currently screening for the Abbott trial for cirrhotics and was told that a recent biopsy is mandatory.  My concern regarding the biopsy is due to my low platelets (70k),  a PT of 13.6, and INR of 1.3.   Do you think that I should have this biopsy done at the TP hospital?  The TP unit where I am listed is at the hospital that was evacuated due to the recent hurricane.  I'm not sure how long it will take them to get back to business, and I don't want to miss this opportunity.

Thank you for your help.  
2 Comments
Blank
517301_tn?1229801385
my gut sense is that you should wait to have the biopsy done at the hospital where you are being seen.  although these trials are competitive, i am confident you wont lose out due to not having the biopsy in time. Things like this shoukdnt be rushed because there are inherent risks as you say; always better to have it done with the team that you know and feel comfortable with.
Blank
Thank you!  I appreciate and value your opinion.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
517301_tn?1229801385
Thomas D Schiano, MDBlank
The Mount Sinai Medical Center
New York, NY
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker