Liver Transplant Expert Forum
biopsy

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

biopsy

Dear Dr.

I am currently screening for the Abbott trial for cirrhotics and was told that a recent biopsy is mandatory.  My concern regarding the biopsy is due to my low platelets (70k),  a PT of 13.6, and INR of 1.3.   Do you think that I should have this biopsy done at the TP hospital?  The TP unit where I am listed is at the hospital that was evacuated due to the recent hurricane.  I'm not sure how long it will take them to get back to business, and I don't want to miss this opportunity.

Thank you for your help.  
my gut sense is that you should wait to have the biopsy done at the hospital where you are being seen.  although these trials are competitive, i am confident you wont lose out due to not having the biopsy in time. Things like this shoukdnt be rushed because there are inherent risks as you say; always better to have it done with the team that you know and feel comfortable with.
Thank you!  I appreciate and value your opinion.