Liver Transplant Expert Forum
kidney question

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

kidney question

My husband just began the process to be listed for liver transplant and completed the Creatinine Clearance test.  Our Hepatologist said it showed his kidneys weren't working great and he may need to see a kidney doctor.  He didn't have the actual results in front of him but says he saw them cross his desk the other day.  I always ask for copies of all tests to be faxed directly to us so I do have them.  His Creatinine Serum is 0.57 (low) it is always low when he has regular labs and I understand this to mean it is not an indicator of kidney problems as that would show a high level.  I understand that with severe liver disease the Creatinine Serum is often low.  The other test showing a flag is the Creatinine Clearance which is high. It is 171.  It is my understanding that when the Creatinine Clearance is LOW that's when there is concern over the kidneys not working, not when it's high???  He said his kidneys aren't clearing out the Creatinine the way it should.  If that were the case, wouldn't his result be showing low, not high?  I am hoping he made a mistake but wondered if you could tell me if I am correct in my understanding.
Thank you!
i am confused as you are.  if the creatinine clearance is low, that is the concern.  Serum creatinine does not adequately assess true renal function.  If he doesnt have any chronic renal disease or other conditions such as diabetes I think that he would not warrant renal transplantation.