Liver Transplant Expert Forum
mono affecting liver

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

mono affecting liver
i am 17 years old and  tested positive for mono 3 weeks ago. WHen they did blood tests they also confirmed that my liver enzymes were high (AST=72 and ALT=114) there were two doctors and one said not to worry about it it was a side affect of the mono but the main doctor said that he was concerned about it which had me worried. i have to have another blood test in a week to see if the levels go back to normal. are my levels higher then most that get mono and have elevated enzymes? and when i asked a nurse what would happen if they enzymes did not go back to normal she just said your young dont worry about it but i really want to know what would happen if the levels did not go back?
mono can definitely cause such abnormal liver tests and they can actually be much much higher.  Almost definitely they will normalize when the monmo goes away.