Liver Transplant Expert Forum
pain above navel that radiates to left side

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

My wife is 35 y/o and have been having pains on her left side every day for 41/2 months and they do not go away the pain only intensifies and when it does it goes all the way to her back area.She has seen 3 different GI doctors and specialists and had CT scans,colonoscopy,barium swallows,gastronoscopy with all of these doctors.Her recent visit at the Baylor College in Houston was a test she had to test the outside of intestines it came back normal just like all of her other tests.All of her bloodwork is normal too.She had a colonoscopy with a clinic back in June said in the bloodwork that her CRP level was elevated and said it is an infection but didn't know what kind or where. My wife has had a Gastric Bypass Surgery back in 2005 and a month afterwards suffered with pancreatitus (pancreatitis) that had her a month in the hospital,but afterwards she was fine.A year later she suffered with migraines that lasted about a year that made her have seizures if she didn't take her medication they still don't know why she had these headaches.Afterwards she was having excessive periods a month  and dropped her blood pressure to 70/44 and from that led to her having a full hysterectomy in Dec 2007,after going through the healing process from that surgery that's when she started having the every day abdomen pains that she is having now since March 2008.Her surgeon at Baylor does not want to do laparascopic surgery because if she does has adhesions,having another surgery will likely stem more.So my wife still has to go through pain while the doctors are trying to  figure out answers on what to do . If someone out there has answers can you please help us this has put a financial strain on our family going to Houston Tx almost every week and from this my wife has not been able to maintain a normal lifestyle and this has kept her out of work for over a year now.
i am sorry that she is going through this.  It may be that she has adhesions related to the prior surgeries.  It can be difficult to diagnose an internal hernia after bypass surgery; I presume that the physicians have looked for this.  If she has no respite from the pain unfortunately there may be no choice but to return to the OR.