Liver Transplant Expert Forum
weight and transplant

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

weight and transplant
My doctor has told me I have to lose 20-25 pounds before he can put me on the transplant list, I am in end-stage liver failure.  I currently weigh 183.  One of my problems is fluid buildup, I can gain or lose 20 pounds in fluid in a
week.  Do all transplant lists have this weight restriction?  What is the best diet for someone that has elevated ammonia levels (206)?
ammonia levels are not really affected too much by diet.  You must be careful not to limit your protein too much.  transplant centers vary as to the weight restrictions of their potential candidates, especially as it may sometimes be difficult to differentiate what is fluid and what is adipose tissue