Advice
My father was diagnosed with COPD in late 2011. He was also informed that he has bubbles in his lungs, which could pop at any time. And when they do, he could potentially die of congestive heart failure. His doctor told him that is he kept smoking the way he did, which is about 1-2 packs a day, he would live to be 63, and he just turned 58 in November. Is there anything at all I could do to help him with this?
How is your father? COPD is a long-term illness that may get worse more quickly if smoking is not stopped. Complications such as irregular heartbeat, right-sided heart failure, pneumonia, weight loss, osteoporosis may also occur of there is no regular follow-up. While COPD has no cure, there are many things you can do to relieve symptoms and keep the disease from getting worse. It is best that you talk to his doctor about this for proper management. There are many factors to consider including the medical history, symptoms present and the results of other diagnostic tests. Prescription medications and pulmonary rehabilitation may help. Take care and do keep us posted.