Lung Cancer Community
Asbestosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

Asbestosis

7 years ago i cut through 15 feet of white cementboard roofing plates. Not knowing at that time what it was I didn't wear the correct facemask. As said 7 years later I have had three heavy inflamation (inflammation) attacks and my heartbeat goes through the roof. Even small efforts are getting very difficult for me. Taking the stairs one level is ok but more is totally out of the question. Just talking and walking get my heartbeat to 120~140bpm.
I'm no smoker and lead a healty life. A few months ago I had my last lungtest and chest x-ray and all was normal. My TLC was 100% following my age and the VC was about 80%. I feel I'm using deeper lungfields then before.
I fear it's going really fast since it's only 7 years later and I really started feeling this 2 years ago.
What is the prognosis if you only had a 4-5 year latencyperiod?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. The major health effects associated with asbestos exposure are asbestosis, lung cancer and mesothelioma. Asbestosis is caused due to long term exposure to inhaled asbestos fibers causing tissues to scar leading to respiratory compromise. Lung cancer is seen in people working in mining, milling, asbestos manufacture with symptoms being coughing, shortness of breath, persistent chest pain and anemia. Mesothelioma is a rare form of cancer found in lining of lung, chest, abdomen and heart and may not show up after years of asbestos exposure. The scar tissue can lead to hypertension in lungs called as pulmonary hypertension. and cor pulmonale or right heart failure . You will need repeat ct scans and possible biopsy of the spot to confirm the diagnosis and I cannot rule out cancer. in diagnosing asbestosis, history of asbestos exposure, length of exposure, lack of protective clothing and respiratory dust mask and any coworker or family member infected with it. Pulmonary functions need to be assessed with a spirometer to evaluate lung capacity and lung and chest wall mechanics. CT SCAN or biopsy. Consult your pulmonologist for further update. Take care.
17.