Lung Cancer Expert Forum
Blebs in the Lung

Welcome to the International Lung Cancer forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Blebs in the Lung

Is there a treatment to get rid of blebs in the lung? or How do you get rid of blebs in the lung?

How do you get Blebs in the Lung?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Blebs are air filled pockets which occur due to weakness of the lung tissues. They usually occur on the lung surface. These may sometimes rupture due to drastic changes in lung pressure which occurs during scuba diving, mountain climbing etc. However, a single small bleb or even several small blebs may be asymptomatic and usually are not serious, so no treatment is indicated. Large blebs may rupture more frequently leading to pnemothorax or a collection of air in the pleural cavity outside the lung. Pnemothorax can cause pressure over the lung leading to lung collapse and difficulty  in breathing. When this occurs, the pnemothorax needs to be drained by inserting a chest tube into the pleural cavity. The ruptured bleb can be surgically removed to prevent further occurence of pnemothorax. Air filled pockets withing the lung substance are called bullae and occur in a condition called emphysema which is caused due to COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). Small bullae do not need any treatment but large bullae causing pressure on the surrounding lung may need surgery.
Hope that helps!
Hello, i aswell have blebs on my lungs. I am 23 and had both lungs collapse last year as a result. Right lung in july08 left in aug08. They did exactly what Monica stated, chest tube, removed the blebs ect. Well, its not even a year later and I just found out that the Blebs either grew back or new ones formed. I cough up a "off yellow" substance daily ( i am a smoke as well). I go through random spells of sever chest pain, needless to say I rush to the ER when that happens and am given Dilaudid for the sever pains. After the Pnemothorax occured twice, My lung compacity is deffinetly different. Deep breathes can lead to sever pain at times...and the heat and humidity are worse. I was told that the doctors can and will remove the blebs if they are of a large enough size that may result in a Pnemothorax. I would suggest trying your best to cough mildly. I find that a hard cough only leads to pain, while very short shallow coughs help push out the mucus. If you EVER notice a constant pain in your lung that throbbs with every breathe...go the ER asap. Thats a sure sign of a Pnemothorax. Also please keep in mind, a Pnemothorax at times can be overlooked. For my 1st collapse that was the case. I was told i just had chronic chect wall pain..only to go home, go to bed and get a awaking phone call from the ER  telling me to come back asap because the Pnemothorax was overlooked. Hope this helps you with knowing some sure signs to look for. Also i was told that the blebs sooner or later will lead to a Pnemothorax, Now i may be incorrect, just something to look out for..God bless and take care
A related discussion, pneumothorax was started.
A related discussion, Hemothorax was started.
A related discussion, Blebs and Bulla was started.