Lung Cancer Community
COPD and chronic parenchymal scarring

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

COPD and chronic parenchymal scarring

My mother has had COPD for several years, and in 2008, her doctor admitted her to ICU and told the family she would not make it through the weekend.  She did, in fact, make it, but she has progressed with the COPD.  Doctors state she is in the "final stages" of COPD but will not give a time frame.  

Since December of 2011, she has had a worsening of symptoms--chronic cough, shortness of breath, more dependent on her oxygem, etc.  She has now taken five (5) rounds of antibiotics with no improvement.  

Her doctor has now ordered a Chest CT with contrast because she suspects a tumor.  Results of the CT state there is mild focal density in the right lower lobe consistent with parenchymal scarring in the posterior costophrenic sulcus.  

In addition, the report also states there is advanced atherosclerotic calcification and plaque in the thoracic and abdominal aorta.  No mass lesions were identified.  There  is no evidence of pulmonary consolidation.  

The impression states COPD and chronic parenchymal scarring with plate-like atelectasis in the lingula and focal scarring/atelectasis in the right lower lobe.

Is there any way you can put this in "understandable" terms?  I am somewhat familiar with medicala terminology; however, these terms are out of my knowledge and understanding.  

Please help me to understand what all this means.

Pam