COUGH - What is the difference?
What is the difference between a "lung cancer" cough and a "smoker's cough"?

My dad is a heavy smoker, he coughs often - and he always has...so there is nothing new.
He had a Chest scan 2 years ago and it was fine and he went for another one this week.

Every website I see cites "cough" as the main symptom of lunch cancer....how do I differentiate between the two? or is there no difference?

You are correct, the cough may be indistinguishable so you cannot rely on it as a symptom for lung cancer (odds are only the patient will know any significant change – but bear in mind that lung function also deteriorates over time, so the cough may get worse without any additional help from cancer or another disease). There is also no clear strategy how to detect cancer early at the present time. There is current interest in doing regular low dose CT scans, but the present experience is not compelling. The only good strategy is to eliminate smoking. Talk to your doctor about your concerns and come up with a strategy that is acceptable to you.