Lung Cancer Expert Forum
Confused about tx
About This Forum:

Welcome to the International Lung Cancer forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Confused about tx

Was diagnosed yesterday with Limital Small cell Lung cancer  Stage 1B.The nodule is confined to the upper part of the lower left lobe.There is no spread as far as they know.It was recommended to do chemo.My question is why dont they surgically remove this portion of the lung first instead of trying the chemo first?I am very scared to say say the least.Dr says I was lucky it hasnt spread but am still confused in alot of ways.He is saying it was a good diagnosis.It was found on an accidental chest xray
Related Discussions
1761039_tn?1316458235
Dear EyesofBlue55,

Thanks for writing in.

Firstly, I would like to let you know that limital small cell cancer is a different entity from non small cell lung carcinoma. This cancer, in contrast to NSLC, progresses very fast. But the good part is that it is sensitive to both chemotherapy and radiotherapy. This cancer spreads microscopically even in limited stage of disease so surgery has no role in the management of this cancer. Getting it done would not confer a survival advantage.

So the right treatment in this case would be : Radiotherapy- 50-55Gy to the primary disease with concurrent chemotherapy with cisplatin/carboplatin + Etoposide.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Anil Thakwani
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank