Lung Cancer Expert Forum
Confusion with CT Scan Results

Welcome to the International Lung Cancer forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Confusion with CT Scan Results

My husband is 47 years old and may have lung cancer. We had biopsy friday, no results yet but I have his follow-up CT scan and our doctor is less than informative about what it means. I was hoping someone could help. We were told pneumonia or lung cancer... shouldn't there be something else??

The previously described nodular consolidation within the right lower lobe has increased in size, measuring 3.0 x 2.4 cm (2.4 x 1.8 cm, previously) now with air bronchograms. There is adjacent interstitial thickening with a 4 mm nodule identified superior to this. There is a slight increase in the 4mm pleural based nodule within the left lower lobe laterally and a 5 mm nodule in the right upper lobe. Additional pleural based nodules along the minor fissure are stable. There is an increase in size of a 5mm nodule in the right middle node. No effusions are identified.

The heart size is within normal limits. There is no pericardial effusion. There are multiple subcentimenter mediastinal and right hilar lymph nodes, with no significant change in a 1.4 x 1.0 cm right infrahilar lymph node given differences in slice selection.

Additionally, there is a slight increase in size of a hypodense lesion within the right lobe of the liver posteriorly measuring 1.2 cm (.9 cm previously).

His CT scans were 3 weeks apart and everything grew so much. Help please!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The CT scan report suggests that there is a mass in the right lung with multiple additional smaller masses (nodules) in both the lungs. In addition, the lymph nodes which drain the lung are enlarged suggesting involvement by the disease. There is a mass in the liver too. The most probable diagnosis would be a cancer of the right lung with spread to multiple lung nodules, lymph nodes and liver. However, the diagnosis of cancer needs to be confirmed by the biopsy. Other possibilities include infections, inflammatory conditions etc.
All the best and God bless!  
A related discussion, Monica M, MD, and Stormy one1 was started.