Lung Cancer Expert Forum
Coughing Plegm with blood
About This Forum:

Welcome to the International Lung Cancer forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Coughing Plegm with blood

Hi, I am 20years old. I started smoking four years back. For the first two years, i used to smoke just around a pack of cigs per week. However for the past two years, i have been smoking around a pack of lights every day. I have tried quitting many, many, many, and many times, but have been unsuccessful. The longest i quit for was around three weeks. I don't drink any alcohol, although i have tried drinking a few times.
Those first two years of smoking, were always accompanied by regular exercise. I was in the Varsity Soccer Team in high school and since soccer is my favorite sport, i used to play everyday. However, since the past two years, I haven't played soccer and i stopped going to the gym, i lost a lot of weight, and have a very, very lazy lifestyle. Now, unfortunately, i run out of breath by just climbing two flights of stairs.

Just last weekend, i developped an annoying wet cough. As a smoker, i am used to smokers cough. However, for the past four days i have had this cough with dark bulky phlegm throughout most of the day. I got worried when i saw a drop of blood in my mucus. The next day, early morning, i started coughing again as soon as i woke up. This time, there was a little more blood. The day after, i still had the cough(phlegm) but without any blood. And now today, I suddenly woke up early morning around 6am and started coughing again. This time there was something like maybe a total of ten drops of fresh blood in my mucus. I quit smoking completely last weekend and since then i haven't touched a ciggarette. Why then is there blood in my mucus? Could i possibly have a lung infection, since the lymph nodes in my neck have been swollen for a few days. Should i take any antibiotics? Please help me out. Thankyou.

QUITTER