Lung Cancer Expert Forum
Coughing Plegm with blood

Welcome to the International Lung Cancer forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Coughing Plegm with blood

Hi, I am 20years old. I started smoking four years back. For the first two years, i used to smoke just around a pack of cigs per week. However for the past two years, i have been smoking around a pack of lights every day. I have tried quitting many, many, many, and many times, but have been unsuccessful. The longest i quit for was around three weeks. I don't drink any alcohol, although i have tried drinking a few times.
Those first two years of smoking, were always accompanied by regular exercise. I was in the Varsity Soccer Team in high school and since soccer is my favorite sport, i used to play everyday. However, since the past two years, I haven't played soccer and i stopped going to the gym, i lost a lot of weight, and have a very, very lazy lifestyle. Now, unfortunately, i run out of breath by just climbing two flights of stairs.

Just last weekend, i developped an annoying wet cough. As a smoker, i am used to smokers cough. However, for the past four days i have had this cough with dark bulky phlegm throughout most of the day. I got worried when i saw a drop of blood in my mucus. The next day, early morning, i started coughing again as soon as i woke up. This time, there was a little more blood. The day after, i still had the cough(phlegm) but without any blood. And now today, I suddenly woke up early morning around 6am and started coughing again. This time there was something like maybe a total of ten drops of fresh blood in my mucus. I quit smoking completely last weekend and since then i haven't touched a ciggarette. Why then is there blood in my mucus? Could i possibly have a lung infection, since the lymph nodes in my neck have been swollen for a few days. Should i take any antibiotics? Please help me out. Thankyou.

QUITTER
Smoking is very unhealthy. Quitting is the single most effective step that you can take that will improve your chances of living a healthy life.
You have described symptoms that seem to suggest a lung infection. Please see a chest physician, who will probably send your sputum for testing, orger a chest X Ray, and start a course of antibiotics.
Please ensure that you dont ever start smoking again. Seek professional help if needed. Start an exercise program after this episode of illness resolves.
All the best, and God Bless!