Lung Cancer Community
Dad won't get biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

Dad won't get biopsy

My 82 year old father has found out from a CT scan that he has a spot on his lung.  It has been there since Oct last year but has grown from 4-10.  He won't go for the biopsy.  But when the doctors office called to schedule the biopsy she actually said something like...yes, we need to talk to him also, he's 82, chemo???  So from what she said I feel that they know for sure it's lung cancer.  Can an oncologist tell from a CT scan that it is actually lung cancer?  If it is a tumor non-malignant do they grow?  With him not willing to find out I'm really at a lost of what is going on.  He has no other signs, coughing, etc. though have read that really doesn't matter.  Any advice would be appreciated.  
Tags: Lung, Cancer
It would be best to try and convince him to visit the physician and you could discuss with your physician in person the need for abiopsy. It is very difficult to diagnose a lesion on the basis of a scan as malignant or benign as there is considerable overlapping of features. Yes in some cases though it can be said with almost certainty whether the lesion is malignant or benign. But to know what your physician thinks you will have to discuss this in detail with him. Also that would menatally prepare your father towards the next step in the diagnosis - a biopsy if required. A non malignant lesion does grow in size - very fast if it is an infective process and very slow if it is benign. Goodluck.