Lung Cancer Expert Forum
Five years
About This Forum:

Welcome to the International Lung Cancer forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Five years

I recently had the top half of my left lung removed.  I had one very small malignant tumor in that portion of the lung.  No problem with lymph nodes and apparantly no problem with other organs. I have looked at summaries of studies of cancer patients who had the same pronosis as I do.  In other words the best possible.  They claim that approximately 2/3 of these folks do not survive to five years and approximately 1/3 survive to five years.  My question is what are the characteristics of the people in these two qroups?  
Tags: Cancer, Lung
Related Discussions
322973_tn?1239908038
Hi,
You have an early stage lung cancer, most likely Tumor (T stage) is T1, Node (N stage) is N0, and Metastasis (M stage) is M0.
Currently, it is difficult to predict accurately who will do well and who wont. There are many studies that are underway that will (hopefully) identify accurate predective and prognostic markers that will help stratify patients with early lung cancer into different risk categories, so that treatment can be tailored accordingly. Ongoing research in the field of biomarkers, gene expression profiling (or "gene signatures"), and mutational status analysis is likely to be useful in this regard.
I wish you all the best. Please continue to be under close surveillence of your oncologist.
God Bless!
Dr Saini.
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, lung cancer treatment in such case was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank