Lung Cancer Expert Forum
Five years

Welcome to the International Lung Cancer forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Five years

I recently had the top half of my left lung removed.  I had one very small malignant tumor in that portion of the lung.  No problem with lymph nodes and apparantly no problem with other organs. I have looked at summaries of studies of cancer patients who had the same pronosis as I do.  In other words the best possible.  They claim that approximately 2/3 of these folks do not survive to five years and approximately 1/3 survive to five years.  My question is what are the characteristics of the people in these two qroups?  
Tags: Cancer, Lung
You have an early stage lung cancer, most likely Tumor (T stage) is T1, Node (N stage) is N0, and Metastasis (M stage) is M0.
Currently, it is difficult to predict accurately who will do well and who wont. There are many studies that are underway that will (hopefully) identify accurate predective and prognostic markers that will help stratify patients with early lung cancer into different risk categories, so that treatment can be tailored accordingly. Ongoing research in the field of biomarkers, gene expression profiling (or "gene signatures"), and mutational status analysis is likely to be useful in this regard.
I wish you all the best. Please continue to be under close surveillence of your oncologist.
God Bless!
Dr Saini.
1 Comment
A related discussion, lung cancer treatment in such case was started.