Lung Cancer Expert Forum
Ground Glass Nodules on Lungs

Welcome to the International Lung Cancer forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Ground Glass Nodules on Lungs

I am a 47 year old, non-smoking female.

In May I was experiencing some pain in my side which I believed to be kidney stones.  My MD sent me for a CT scan.  The CT scan showed kidney stones, but also spotted 6mm ground glass nodule on lower left lung.  The recommendation was for follow-up CT scan and x-ray in three months.  In the meantime, I developed a sinus infection in early June.  The doctor treated me with an antibiotic which helped, but I have had a continuous cough ever since.  I went for follow-up on the cough and the doctor prescribed Allegra, which did not help with the cough.  The CT scan was performed again in mid-July (about two months rather than three months later) because of the cough.  The CT scan showed no change to the lungs from the previous scan and the radiologist recommended another CT scan in six months.  My cough continues and I don't know if I should return to the doctor.  

I know that the ground glass nodule could be an indicator of lung cancer as well as a cough. At times, my chest feels tight, but I wouldn't say it is painful.  I do not want to appear paranoid or over react.  Should I follow the doctor's recommendation and wait six months, or should I see someone sooner?
I think it is reasonable to wait for six months for the next CT scan. Mere ground glass opacity, stable on follow-up CT scan, is very unlikely to represent lung cancer. However, you should see a pulmonologist to investigate the reason for your chronic cough. Occasionally, an episode of respiratory infection triggers a syndrome similar to asthma, which may lead to dry cough. Spirometry may be useful.
All the best, and God Bless!
Thank you for your prompt response.
I also have ground glass opacities.  When I got a copy of my CT Scan I was very worried.  The pulmonogist said a repeat CT with a broncopsopy afterward in september.  I am also very concerned ... I feel great .. except for my CT Scan moderate emphysema 3 - 7 mm with foci of ground glass opacites.

I hope we are both fine and just being a bit paronoid!

Julie in Southern California
Thank you so much for your post.  I actually have an appointment with my MD on Tuesday (the 11th) and I will probably ask for a referral to a pulmonologist.  

How long ago did you have your first CT scan and why?  May I ask your age and whether you are a smoker?  Do you have a cough?

I really have a hard time believing that there is anything serious going on with myself.  I, also, feel fine and have been more inclined to see the doctor because of encouragement from my husband, as well as some of my friends who comment on my cough (I sometimes feel that I am becoming used to the cough).  It's really just a nagging cough that is apparently annoying (at least noticeable) to others.

I'm not very patient and the waiting for the next scan is very difficult for me.  Yes, let's pray that everythings is normal for each of us!  

I'll let you know what happens after my visit on Tuesday.  

Deb from Michigan
Good luck to you both!
I went to the doctor yesterday and he gave me an inhaler and another antibiotic.  He said to give it a couple of weeks and if this doesn't help the cough, then he will refer me to a pulmonologist.

We'll see how things are going after I finish the antibiotic.

How are things going for you?
A related discussion, Ground glass opacities was started.
A related discussion, Vomiting Blood and Ground Glass Effect was started.