Growing lung nodule
I had a CT scan (because of abdominal pain) back in June of 07.  I had a 4.4 mm nodule on my lower left lung.  I had a repeat CT done Jan. 18th and it has grown from 4.4mm to 6mm.  I am scared to death,  needless to say.  I am curious if anyone knows anything about growth rates & what this could mean.  I mean,  I am guessing that if it's growing,  it's cancer.  But How fast does small cell grow,  vs other types?  I have an appt. with a pulmonary guy in 15 days,  will go crazy between now & then.
Forgot to mention that I am only 38 years old,  so this is really scary,  as I have a 14 year old daughter at home & don't want to die.  Can they remove the section of lung & there is any real possibility of surviving?  I have always thought,  lung cancer=death.  I am SO scared.
Hi.  I think it is a little premature to say for certain that your lung nodule is cancer.  Although the possibility is there, and the risk is greater if you happen to be a heavy smoker.  There are other diseases like tuberculosis or sarcoidosis which can present as an enlarging lung nodule.  So don't jump to any conclusions just yet. It's a good thing that you're consulting with a pulmonologist so the matter can be settled soon.  I hope things turn out for the better.
I don't have TB,  and I'm not sure what sarcoidis is,  but I don't have the symptoms of it.  I have also been a pack a day smoker for 22 years.  So I am pretty sure it is cancer.  I just wonder,  if they catch it while it's small,  isn't there a chance of beating it?  I have been looking around the internet & the odds of people living seem extremely terrible.  I hope that the statistics are off a bit.
Please please please let me know what the end result was for you. I am also 38 and just found out last night that I have a 2.8cm nodule on my lung (and an xray 2 months back showed nothing). I have 3 children and married and I am absolutely torn by this. I cannot even think straight. I have to go see a pulmonologists as well. Please email me at ***@**** and let me know what ended up happening. Thank you.
Just went through the same hell. I too am scared. My nodule is 5.0. Pulmonologist told me, except for the growth, everything else was normal. Wants to see me again in six months. He said it was too small to do a pet scan. Not giving up and hope you don't either. We are fortunate to have had this growth found early. Will pray for you and hope you do the same for me. Best of luck and stay as positive as you can. Your attitude can make a big difference. I too was a smoker, over 44 years. Quit three years ago this past January but I do use E-Cigarettes.