Lung Cancer Community
Growing lung nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

Growing lung nodule

I had a CT scan (because of abdominal pain) back in June of 07.  I had a 4.4 mm nodule on my lower left lung.  I had a repeat CT done Jan. 18th and it has grown from 4.4mm to 6mm.  I am scared to death,  needless to say.  I am curious if anyone knows anything about growth rates & what this could mean.  I mean,  I am guessing that if it's growing,  it's cancer.  But How fast does small cell grow,  vs other types?  I have an appt. with a pulmonary guy in 15 days,  will go crazy between now & then.
Forgot to mention that I am only 38 years old,  so this is really scary,  as I have a 14 year old daughter at home & don't want to die.  Can they remove the section of lung & there is any real possibility of surviving?  I have always thought,  lung cancer=death.  I am SO scared.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  I think it is a little premature to say for certain that your lung nodule is cancer.  Although the possibility is there, and the risk is greater if you happen to be a heavy smoker.  There are other diseases like tuberculosis or sarcoidosis which can present as an enlarging lung nodule.  So don't jump to any conclusions just yet. It's a good thing that you're consulting with a pulmonologist so the matter can be settled soon.  I hope things turn out for the better.
I don't have TB,  and I'm not sure what sarcoidis is,  but I don't have the symptoms of it.  I have also been a pack a day smoker for 22 years.  So I am pretty sure it is cancer.  I just wonder,  if they catch it while it's small,  isn't there a chance of beating it?  I have been looking around the internet & the odds of people living seem extremely terrible.  I hope that the statistics are off a bit.
Please please please let me know what the end result was for you. I am also 38 and just found out last night that I have a 2.8cm nodule on my lung (and an xray 2 months back showed nothing). I have 3 children and married and I am absolutely torn by this. I cannot even think straight. I have to go see a pulmonologists as well. Please email me at ***@**** and let me know what ended up happening. Thank you.