Lung Cancer Expert Forum
Is it definitely cancer

Welcome to the International Lung Cancer forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Is it definitely cancer

My son's father is 39 years old and 2 days ago was x rayed where a mass was found on both sides of his lungs. A CT scan showed it was actually little masses making up the mass. Is this defintely lung cancer? Im so worried and i dont know what to say to my 14 year old. He smoked for about 4 years.  
No, the CT scan findings are not "definitely" because of lung cancer.
Lung shadows on imaging can be because of many reasons - the common ones being infection, inflammation, and cancer.
In lung cancer, bilateral lung masses are sometimes seen in advanced disease. Cancer elsewhere in the body can also spread to the lung, and may involve both sides.
Please get him investigated quickly to establish the cause of the lung masses.
All the best, and God BlesS!
Thanks so much for the information. I keep hoping its an infection or atleast beinign. He he getting sent to another doctor this week.
I too hope that it turns out that way. Pl let me know when the reports are available. All the best!
I am a 38 year old female - have never smoked - I have had a hoarse voice for 2 weeks and feel a lump in my throat which is usually due to my thyroid which sometimes has nodules that make it uncomfortable to breath. I have a weird presence in my chest also, may be heartburn? and my groin has had sharp pains - I am convinced I have something going on with my lungs... otherwise very healthy.

Thank you for any information.
What exactly is the thyroid condition that you have, and are you taking medications for it? Has the thyroid been subjected to a biopsy or FNAC? Is the recent thyroid scan and thyroid hormone profile normal?
About your lung symptoms, please see an internist for evaluation.
All the best, and God Bless!
Okay here is an update on my sons father. First of all, his father (sons grandfather) is a retired doctor, so things are moving a little faster. He had the CT scan and it showed that what ever it is, its throughout the lungs. This morning they did a biopsy through his lung (out patient) and since his father was there they looked at it through the microscope. The guy who did the biopsy believes (not certain) its some kind of infection. They are saying the biopsy will be back in about 3 days. How much should we be relaxing right now?  
Okay, I wrote a little about what happened yesterday, but im going to try to fill in the blanks. My sons father (who happens to be very good friends with my husband and myself) is 39 was orginally born in India. When the radiologist (think thats what he was called who did Biopsy). Said he believes it is a bad infection after looking at several samples in the microscope. Kept on asking if he has been out of the country recently. (he hasn't, but was working in a room with a bunch of people recently here from India - they were here on work permits) also his family is also back and forth right now because of weddings and sickness of relatives in India. Asked him if he has been tested yet for TB and if he has had pneumonia recently. He had a very bad "cold" back in January I think. Everything I look up on TB sounds like him. Cough that wouldn't go away (not bad sounding cough though), little bit of tiredness not really anything that could stop him, but maybe slow him down a little. What ever is in his lungs seems to be about every where in his lungs though. What do you think? It was a relief yesterday when the radiologist said to him and his parents (which i know they usually dont) that he thinks its some kind of bad infection, but now we are all a nervous wreck again waiting for the results. Thank you for you time.
Having a "bad infection" is, of course, bettter than having lung cancer. You should wait for the final histopathology, immunohistochemistry, AFB, and other reports to be finalized before we discuss the treatment aspects in detail.
Infections, including TB, can be sometimes difficult to treat. They require multiple drugs to be taken for prolonged periods. TB is common in many countries of Asia, including India, and after the HIV epidemic, is increasing in the USA and Europe too.
TB is challenging to diagnose, especially because it may sometimes co-exist with or mask other diseases. If he has extensive involvement of the lungs, then "miliary" TB or other advanced forms of TB may be present.  
Good Luck!
Hi, He went to see the lung doctor yesterday. Doctor also doesn't believe it cancer. He did give him a TB test yesterday, but doesn't believe it is that either. He believes its Sarcoidosis. They are waiting for some more cultures to come back because I guess this one takes longer to come back. He said that if that is what it is, he will have to take steroids for 4-5 years? (with a heavy dose the first month). He has suffered big time depression in the past (chemical embalance) so think he is a little worried how the steriods will affect him. Regardless of the diagnosis, Its still 100% better thank having lung cancer.
  Thank you so much for your help the last couple of weeks!!!
Sarcoidosis is a rare connective disorder. Please ensure that a firm diagnosis is established and correct treatment instituted.
All the very best to you and your family.