Lung Cancer Expert Forum
Lung Lesion

Welcome to the International Lung Cancer forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

Lung Lesion
I recently had a CT scan due to abdominal pain. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis, but the scan incidentally showed a lesion in the pleural cavity of my right lung. The radiologist recommended I return in a year to have the CT repeated, but my doctor said he wasn't comfortable with waiting that long and is having me return in September for another scan. My husband's father died of lung cancer, so this is his worst nightmare...he's not sleeping at night. My mother smoked 2-3 packs of cigarettes a day and I lived with her my forst 20 years. What percentage of lung lesions are cancer? Should I have anymore tests done? What else could this be?

Relax!
The radiologist was perhaps just being careful by asking you for a repeat scan. If there was anything suspicious (like a spiculated mass, enlarged lymph nodes etc) he / she would have recommended a biopsy or FNAC immediately.
Can you please let me know the exact language used by the radiologist to describe the pleural lesion?
Only a small minority of lung lesions are cancerous.
All the best, and God Bless!
The report says approximate 5-mm pleural-based nodule in the posterior medial right lower lobe. Mild right anterior basilar atelectasis present.

It's Greek to me!

A 5 mm nodule is small. The report does not mention any alarming features like spiculation etc.
A scan in September is reasonable.
Good Luck!
A related discussion, More fun...... was started.