I am a 26 year old female in relatively good health and have never smoked. I have been prone to pneumonia and bronchitis through out my life. In March, I had a ct scan of my lungs which revealed emphysema in the bottom lobe of my right lung and a 3.5 cm mass in the upper/middle lobe of my right lung. I went to see a pulmonologist who requested lab work, a chest x-ray, and scheduled a bronchoscopy for the mass. The lab work results revealed that the emphysema was caused by having MZ phenotypes from AAT deficiency. Unfortunately, my mass is located between the blood vessels of my lung and the doctor was unable to get a biopsy of the mass. My pulmonologist referred me to an infections disease doctor to rule out aspergillus (aspergillosis), TB, etc and also performed more blood work and another CT scan. The blood work showed that I had abnormal alpha-fetoprotein levels but was negative for any infectious disease. The CT scan revealed the mass had not grown over a 3 month period. My pulmonologist stated that the mass could be scar tissue from pneumonia, some sort of infection that did not show up in blood work or some type of germ cell tumor. My pulmonologist gave me 2 suggestions. I could wait until August and then have more blood work and another CT scan to see if the mass had grown or I could meet with a cardiothoracic surgeon to possibly have a biopsy performed. My pulmonologist and infectious disease specialist suggested waiting and seeing but I was concerned about what was in my lungs.
I decided to meet with the surgeon to hear his thoughts. The surgeon told me that he would only be able to perform an open biopsy (thus going through my back and cutting out a rib) instead of a VATS biopsy due to the location of the mass. Also, he stated that he felt like the mass was not scar tissue because of its location and size. He also noted that if it was a tumor and it started growing that it could cut off my airway because the mass is wrapped around my airway. He stated that if I elected to have the surgery and it was a tumor then he would likely have the remove 60% of my right lung. After talking with my husband, we have scheduled the surgery for August 6. I have been feeling really tired lately and coughing more and am worried that it is because of the problems in my lung. I am also concerned about having the open lung biopsy. I would love to hear input on anyone’s thoughts and opinions as to what this mass could be.
Well to let you know something about me. I had pneumonia 3 months ago. Had a chest X-Ray done and it showed a 4 cm round mass in my left upper lobe. I went and had a CT scan done and was told that I had a lesion that was blocking my LUL. Went and seen a specialist and he performed a bronchoscopy on me. Biopsy showed no cancer but was told that I have an ADENOMA. He sent me to see a surgen.
Well the surgen says that in order for him to remove it I would need a Lobectomy. (the removal of my lul) will have this done on July 23rd.
But I too was coughing alot and at times felt week. I am also cocerned of this operation but I am also looking forward to getting this done due to the fact that my left upper lobe has collasped.
I wish you all the best and keep us informed as to how you are doing. I will also keep you updated.
Thanks. I met with my pulmonologist on Friday since I have Been not feeling well. We have decided to push up my surgery to the 23rd. So it looks like we will be going under the same day. Good luck with everything!
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.