Lung Cancer Community
Lung Nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

Lung Nodule

The CT showed three nodules.  The one they are concerned about is 2.6 cm.
Non smoker who is 64 years old.  Is 2.6 cm large for the nodule?
I have three and the biggest is 6CM and my doctor is not worried. I'm also a non-smoker. Get the PET scann, the will tell you if you have cancerit's 95% accurate.
Keep me intouch.
Alan
I had a CT chest and they found a thyroid nodule and three lung nodules: 1.3 cm, 9 mm and 6 mm.  The radiologist read it as possible metastasis from thyroid.  I had a needle biopsy done and it was benign.  However, the drs are still concerned about the nodules and want me to get a PET scan to look for metastasis.  I am freaking out about this.  Also, I got an attack of vertigo two months ago and still experience some dizzy spells throughout the day.  Now, I worry if I have a cancer that metastized to the lungs and brain.  How do they tell if a nodule is calcified on a CT?  The report didn't say anything about it.
People think they have to be a smoker to get lung cancer, that is why lung cancer has such a stigma, it is thought to be your fault.  This is not true, look at www.inspire.com.  Young people who have never smoked, have eaten right and exercised are getting it.  I did smoke and I have it but have adenocarcinoma w/bac features and was told it was not caused by smoking.  Many more non smoking people are getting lung cancer and many of them are women and people even as young as 15.  Please do not think  that you cannot get lung cancer if you don't have the risk factor.  Have it checked out with a ct scan, not an x-ray as it does not show up until late on an x-ray and don't let a doctor put you off.  I had two nodules they did biopsy on, the one that was 1.2cm was malignant, I think I am lucky as far as they know it had not gone anyplace else.  Had nodules on both lungs but they could not get past my heart to biopsy right lung.  Pet scan shows no uptake now in any part of my body, surgery was nine months ago.  
Have the pet scan, it does not hurt and will show any uptake, better to catch it early and not take any chances.  Many people have nodules and they are not malignant but calcifications.  Like I say one of mine was malignant and the other wasn't.  Much luck but do get it done, they can watch these, that is how they found mine by watching with ct every year.
I have the PET scan scheduled for tomorrow.  Did you have a whole body PET scan?
Being I have 3 nodules and one on my thyroid, the pulmonologist thought the thyroid ca metastasized to the lungs.  Now the thyroid biopsy is negative.  So is it possible to have three nodules and only one be a primary cancer?  The pulmonologist does not think it is primary because I never smoked, but like you said a lot of people get lung ca who never smoked.  Did they ever consider your nodules to be metastasis?  thanks.

Lorrie
Forgot to mention: I just had a ct brain and it was negative.  went to the neurologist today and the dizziness is from labyrinthitis and not ca.  Whew!