Lung Cancer Community
Lung Nodules under age 30?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

Lung Nodules under age 30?

I'm a 29 year old woman who has recently gotten some frightening news. Im really worried because a recent CT scan found several non-calcified lung nodules, three of them are 5-7mm, but they also found what I think they called a non-calcified SPN that was 17mm. Im terrified that this could be a sign of lung cancer, but I feel like Im too young for this!

I do have a family history of lung cancer, including an Aunt who died from lung cancer a few years ago and my mother who's in her late 40s has COPD and Emphesyma, and yes, everyone in my family smokes, my aunts, my mother, my older sister. So I grew up in a smoke filled home, and I guess Im still just as bad of a chain smoker myself, lately around 2 packs a day, and Ive been smoking fairly heavily since I was in my teens, maybe 15 years total. Ive half hearted tried to quit smoking before but there was no use because it was still everywhere I went, plus there's also been alot of depression and other mental illness in my family, which often makes for more drama and often more cigarettes to get through one ordeal after the other. These past several years Ive had frequent shortness of breath and chronic upper respitory tract infections, which Ive mostly tried to ignore, but the past few months Ive had a really sharp, painful cough that has persistently refused to go away.

Knowing that these lung nodules, or at least one of them could potentially be cancerous has me worried sick. Ive made myself so nervous that Ive already thrown up three times today, something I havent done since I overcame an on agan-off again struggle with bulimia a few years ago. Even though I think Im too young for lung cancer, I can't help but but be terrified. What else could this be?
My thoughts are with you.  The best thing you can do is let the doctors figure out what it is and then fight it head on, regardless of what the diagnosis is.  When the doctors told me I had lung cancer (after months of telling me that I couldn't possibly have cancer), I said good, at least now I know what it is and can work on beating it.  Good luck to you in your journey.