Lung Cancer Community
Lung cancer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

Lung cancer?

Vocal Cord Paralysis,

My mom, age 66 went for a ct scan because of vocal cord Paralysis.  I need help translating the ct scan, here it goes.

Lungs appear diffusely emphysematous.  There is ill defined soft tissue lesion in the left upper lung at about 11-12mm in size(how big or small is that?)  There also appears to be abnormal soft tissue extending into the left suprahilar area and AP window which is very ill defined and apprears quite infiltrative.  The right hilum and remainder of the mediastinum apprears within normal limits.  There does, however, apprear to be several small nodules in the superior mediastinum about a 1cm in size but rather numerous.  The remainder of the lungs appear clear of focal consolidations or lesions.  There is no significant pleural fluid although there may be a tiny amount of left sided pleural fluid.

Liver:  There is likely a liver soft tissue lesion present about 3cm in diameter.

Neck:  Impression:  There appears to be multiple small nodules in the anterior triangles bilaterally primarily level III and IV in the lower neck.  However, these nodules mostly appear less than 1 cm in size, although a few are about 11-12mm.  Although not particularly large, their overall number would raise concern for early or mild adenopathy.  There is extensive metallic work obscuring detail in the oropharynx and adjacent soft tissues but there also appears to be several small nodules in the upper neck soft tissues primarily carotid sheath regions.  Parapharyngeal spaces to not apprear displaced.  Parotid and submandibular glands appear unremarkable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you so much.
Tags: Lung, cancers
Best to talk this over with your doctor.
Was the paralysis on the left or right vocal cord?
Are you sure it is paralysis at all? Could it be a laryngeal nodule? Was a visualization of the larynx done?
If the paralysis is on the left, the infiltrative lesion described on the left measuring 11-12 mm may have something to do with it, but it seems too small to be causing compression. Generally lung cancer with vocal paralysis are pretty large, a good number would have compression of the trachea/windpipe.
The distribution of the lymph nodes also makes Lung cancer as a primary disease a bit unlikely, if we are to think about Cancer, perhaps lymphoma may be more suspect. But again all of the nodes seem pretty small, it is also possible that the nodes are due to a chronic infection, reaction against an irritant.
She has paralysis on the left side.  It was confirmed with a camera that was put down her throat.  She seen the doctor yesterday.  She had a CEA blood test, cat scan yesterday and she goes in Thursday for a PET scan and a biopsy on Friday of the node in her neck.  I asked the doctor about the size of the lesion, he said it wasn't the size it's what in it...what do you think?

Thanks for responding.

It seems that things are moving along. The biopsy would be most important in determining if this really is cancer and its behavior. It is also possible that the behavior is not correlated with size of any particular lesion, the doctor raises a point. The next question however is no longer what either of us can posite, we’ll have to wait and see what it is.
Stay positive.  
I will try and stay postive.  I will let you know what I learn.  Thanks for your support.