Lung Cancer Community
Lung high density spots

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

Lung high density spots

My grandmother was called the recent chest x-ray results just a few days ago and they told her during the phone call from her physicians office her right upper lobe of her lung has a high density spot that is visiable so she will now be getting scheduled soon for a CT scan for follow up. Our question is exactly what is a high density spot ? Does it mean greater possibility of lung cancer or COPD? My grandmother is a 3ppd smoker for decades at the least, she was born in 1937 and has smoked since approximately the age of 15 years old. She currently uses an inhaler but only prn. in the past year she has had nebulizer treatments but only during times of illness then they are discontinued.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How is your grandmother?  What are the symptoms present? Asymmetry of lung density may be seen as increased or decreased  density. However, this could be attributed to a variety of issues such as infection, possible malignancy, COPD and other pulmonary issues. That is why further imaging studies such as CT scan or MRI are requested for proper evaluation. Additional diagnostic tests such as pulmonary function tests may also be indicated. It is best that you discuss the result with her doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted with the ct scan result.