Lung Cancer Community
Mesothelioma and Horner's syndrome with pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

My 79 yr old mother was diagnosed with mesothelioma 1yr ago. A little over a week ago she had an infarct in the basal ganglia. During her stay in hospital she developed left side Horner's syndrome. Head scans showed no spread of cancer to the brain. She is experiencing head aches, shoulder ache and soreness of the skin on her scalp, all on the left side.My question is : is it likely that this pain is all related to Horner's syndrome? I have googled Pancoast's syndrome which details shoulder pain but can find nothing to explain her head/scalp pain. Is it likely the pain will persist in these areas?  

You’re concerns are valid. The nerves that are implicated in Horner’s syndrome deal with sweating and some muscles of the eye. Pain in the shoulder and neck may involve other nerves. Bear in mind that the pattern of involvement for mesothelioma is more superficially spreading as opposed to the focal involvement (in lung cancer), hence looking for a specific site where one nerve group only is involved may not be possible. Discuss the problem with your doctor. Not all pain involves compression of nerves. Stay positive there are a number of medications and procedures available to control pain.