Lung Cancer Community
Moving Infiltrate in lower left lung

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

Moving Infiltrate in lower left lung

I am a 27 year old male, residing in Amsterdam. I was otherwise healthy, until july 07 when i suddenly started coughing up flecks of blood with sputum. The sputum was slimy and salty. Sputum test didn't reveal anything. Blood test was normal. The GP advised some antibiotics (Amoxycilin, Ciprofloxacin) but nothing worked. I was referred to a lung specialist. A subsequent CT (on 23rd July) showed a small focal infiltrate (homogeneous opacity) in the left lung. It was not a mass. All meds were stopped. A bronchoscopy with bronchial washing and lavage was non diagnostic of any kind of abnormality, including bacteria or malignancy. A subsequent CT after 3 weeks showed the infiltrate moving a little down the lobe, and clearing on the initial position. The blood was less in the sputum, however it was periodical. After that we have taken 3 more CTs over the past 3 months, the infiltrate has always moved to different places in the left lobe, clearing out on the previous positions. But the salty sputum still persists. A recent CBC was normal, except  ESR of around 9, and IgA of 4.25 with Billirubin of 18. Other than that, my weight has been stable, no fever and no pain. Recently also got some issue with fluid in my rt ear and little nosebleed. A repeat bronchoscopy with TBB with lavage also went non diagnostic. Lung Function Tests didn't reveal anything significant. The infiltrate still persists as evident from the last CT done on 5th Nov. I am terrificly anxious about BAC, which also gives salty mucoid sputum. Any idea on the probability of a malignancy?? Any other differential diagnosis??
What you describe could be a fungal infection of the lungs or a carcinoma. But most probably it looks to be a fungal infection - aspergillus (aspergillosis) infection called ABPA - allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis or even an aspergilloma. You need to discuss these possibilities with your chest physician and see what he has to say. You would be advised to get some more blood tests like serum precipitins, SErum IgE and IgG against aspergillus (aspergillosis) species etc and some skin allergy tests done for this fungal infection to reach a definite diagnosis. The management in such cases is steroids started at a dose according to the body weight and dose altered according to the repeat blood tests and clinical response. Do schedule an appointment with your chest specialist and discuss this with him in detail. Goodluck.
Thanks for your comment. I have a skin test pending for Aspergillos..lets see what comes out of that.
I asked the doctor about the probability of a carcinoma, and they were of the opinion that since the infiltrate clears out on its own every 2-4 weeks from its previous positions and moves to a new position, it shouldn't be a carcinoma, since in that case, it can't move and clear out on its own. But i will surely talk to the doc about the probability of a fungal infection.
The Aspergillos test was negative. The biopsy revealed normal tissue with old blood! Other than that no other findings...i guess no other option but to wait for few months again!!
What were the serum precipitins levels and IgE & IgG levels against aspergillus (aspergillosis) levels? Had you got that done? You could get those tests done in the consultation with your physician. You could also get a repeat after scan a few months when your chest specialist thinks it appropriate. Discuss what differential diagnosis is your chest specialist thinking of in your case. Goodluck.
The IgE and IgG levels were fine. They didn't show any abnormality against Aspergillos as well...I got a little congestion on my right ear as well, during this time..looks like fluid in the middle year. In the mean time had a Stomach Endoscopy and Liver Ultrasonography. Stomach Endoscopy revealed GERD and Liver Ultrasonography was normal. Ultrasound of Lymph nodes on head and neck revealed a deep anterior cervical node of 3mm diameter. I can palpate it and it is mobile and not very hard. Do you have any other hypothesis on this?? My docs here asked me to wait till Feb for a repeat CT.
I think for now as all the tests are clear you just need to sit back and relax. Do follow uo with your doctor regularly and get a repeat CT in Feb. Also report any abnormal symptoms if you have to your doctor. Ask your doctor for some antinausea antireflux combination medications for the GERD. Goodluck.
What is lower left infiltrate in the lungs?
Do you smoke?
I am a smoker 32 years old I started having trouble breathing and pain in my spine went to the doctor he said that I had pneumonia no X[ray done. fter the medicine I was better but still had a lot of pain in my spine when I would lay down. Back to the Doctor this time I had an X-ray it said' there is a small area of inflitrate in theleft lobe. This is seen on a PA view superimposed over the left side of the heart and extending slightly to the left outline of the heart. On lateral view the infiltrate is superimposed over the lower thoracic spine. the remaining lung fields are clear. There is no pleural effusion or pneumothorax. the heart and mediastinum apear normal.  What does this mean? could it be cancer? What is the treatment?