Lung Cancer Community
My dad is was diagnosed with something in his lungs but we dont know wh...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

My dad is was diagnosed with something in his lungs but we dont know what

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THIS MEANS BECAUSE IM VERY WORRIED

CT chest

History: Query small nodule right lower lung on chest x-ray of january 29, 2013
Technique: This was performed with IV contrast enhancement

Findings:

Small 0.4cm calcified granuloma lateral to right hilum in right middle lobe. Adjacent small calcified right hilar lymph node. Moderate calcified subcarnial lymph node. These are in keeping with old infectious granulomatous disease.

Small oblong non calcified 0.5 x 0.2 cm nodular density in right middle lobe anteriorly image 68 suspected to correspond to chest x-ray finding. This could be a non calcified granuloma but serial follow-up is recommended. Small 0.5 cm nodular density contiguous to anterior left diaphragm in left lower lobe image 98 can also be reassessed on follow-up.

Nonspecific mild streaky atelectasis or scarring in lower lungs.

No enlarged lymph nodes identified. Central airways patent. Mild aortic calcification. Adrenals unremarkable. Likely 1.4 cm cyst in left lobe of liver. Possible tiny cyst in right lobe of liver anteriorly.

No suspicious focal bone lesion. No pleural abnormality.

Impression:

Previous granulomatous disease. Small nodular densities in lower lungs are likely associated with previous granulomatous disease but less likely differential diagnosis of early neoplastic nodules not completely excluded. Follow-up chest x-ray in 3 months time is recommended and if this is stable then non contrast follow-up CT chest in 6 months time
is suggested
There is a nodule that the doctor believes is benign, but just to make sure, he recommends another chest x-ray in three months.  If that one looks the same as this one, then he recommends a noncontrast CT scan six months after that.  

The best outcome will be no change three months from now and then a benign-looking CT scan nine months from now.  The presumption is that if the nodule is cancer, it will grow.  If it is benign, as the doctor believes it is, it will stay the same.  

I'm thinking that the reason for the CT in nine months, rather than another x-ray, is to get a more detailed look before concluding that no further attention is needed.  

I'm not a doctor or medical professional, so if anyone has actual expertise, please post.  My expertise is limited to medical literacy.

Good luck.